I must not classify this recipe as new creation but just a twist to Mexican food Enchiladas recipe. I make Chipotle bowl recipe at home many times. To try something new, I made enchiladas for the first time. But I wanted it to be healthy and unique. I made wheat flour chapatis/Indian bread tortilla size. I prepared the black beans, tomato avocado salad, green pepper-onion salad, cilantro lime rice, avocado cilantro dressing.
- For Wheat chapatis/tortilla: 3 cups wheat flour, salt, 2 tbsp oil and water as needed.
- Make chapatis Indian style and let them cool while you prepare other stuff.
- For Cilantro Lime Rice: 2 cups of rice, cilantro, thick gravy removed from black bean tin, salt, taco seasoning,black pepper, cilantro chopped, half lemon juice
- Cook the rice first and let them cool. Once cooled, then mix all ingredients listed about together and simmer on slow flame until rice absorbs all the gravy and looks dry.
- For black bean: one tin of black bean rinsed (saved the gravy from the tin), salt, taco seasoning, black pepper, 1 tsp cream cheese, 2 tbsp tomatoes, 2 tbsp corn.
- Mix all these ingredients and mash the black beans.
- For Green pepper-Onion Salad: Cut them long and saute. Add salt, taco seasoning and black pepper to your taste.
- For Tomato -Avocado Salad : Finely chop avocados , tomatoes and salt and pepper. For garnishing.
- For Avocado Cilantro Sauce/dressing: 1 big avocado, 1 jalapeno, 1 cup cilantro, 1/2 cup yogurt, half lemon juice, salt, pepper, 2 tbsp coconut, 4 garlic cloves, 2 tbsp cashews, half cup water(add per consistency you like).
- Blend everything together to smooth paste.
How to make:
- Once everything is ready, preheat oven 375. I put oil sprayed empty glass container in oven while preheating.
- Take one wheat tortilla, layer the avocado cilantro dressing in half and taco hot sauce in other half. Sprinkle some Mexican cheese.
- Next put black bean, Green pepper- onion salad, more cheese(optional) and roll them. Prepare all tortillas like this.
- Once preheat done, layer taco hot sauce and avocado cilantro sauce in bottom first, then put all the rolled tortillas prepared, and make another layer of hot sauce and avocado cilantro sauce(more this sauce as if soaking enchiladas in sauce). Garnish it with cheese, salt, pepper, cilantro. Bake on 375 until sauce and cheese are bubbly. I baked it for 10 minutes and let them sit inside for 10 more minutes while oven cools down.
- On the plate, put one enchilada and garnish top with finely chopped avocado-tomato salad. Put more salad as side dish salsa and serve it with one serving of cilantro lime rice.
- Personally I don’t like onions, so I try to make my version of enchilada by not adding anything onion/garlic. To have enough stuffing, I added cilantro lime rice in my enchilada and it was yummy.
Just a suggestion; but if you want to make this dish exotic to earn a Michelin star on this recipe then add finely chopped mango to garnish. Or you can make Avocado-tomato- Mango salad for garnishing enchiladas. TBT: suggestion credit from dearest hubby.
Enjoy the exotic Indo-Mexican enchiladas! Pictures from my kitchen.